Flying and crashing: A cycle of addiction and suffering

“After he dropped me off, I knew he was going to get back to flying and crashing because flying and crashing were what people in our family did when were alone, ashamed and scared to death.”(Laymon  Pg 178 )

In the last section of the book, we see Laymon leave his food eating addiction behind and replacing with an exercise one. However, he does not see it that way. He even thanks god that he is not flying and crashing like his family members. (178) This illustrates the cycle of flying and crashing he is speaking of, a form of self-sabotage. We also see this with his mother who has always struggled with a gambling addiction. It is very ironic since she is the person who always requested perfection of Laymon yet she has her own flaws and addictions. This goes back to the point I made in on of my previous blogs about how it is very difficult to end cycles when the role models around you are very flawed and toxic themselves. Not only does Laymon discuss cycles of addiction and suffering in his family but he discusses many in America and black communities.  An example being when he discusses the fact that men of color would only sell drugs to men of color to have in come because white men have too much power and can easily ruin their lives. He ends the book by stating that these cycles will continue as long as  long as we keep lying to ourselves and hiding these harsh truths.

Money and Dice: A symbol for addiction